Boulder City, NV

October Library Trustees Board Meeting

BOULDER CITY LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

October 16, 2013

MEMBERS PRESENT: Amy Carvalho, Gary Berger, Valerie McNay and Kerry Ahern.  Also present  Library Director Lynn Schofield-Dahl, and Adult Services Librarian Deanna Duffy.

The regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by Chairman Gary Berger.

I. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

II. CONSENT AGENDA: Matters considered routine by the Board of Trustees and which may be enacted in one motion. Any item, however, may be discussed separately per Board member request. Any exceptions to the Consent Agenda must be stated prior to approval.

Lynn distributed change pages for the bills and financial information.  She also suggested skipping the Trustee Training item because not all board members had a chance to view the DVDs.

Valerie McNay moved to accept, with that change, and Kerry Ahern seconded approval of the Consent Agenda, the minutes of the regular meeting on September 18, $14,921.90, in vouchers for the previous month, submitted prior to and at the meeting, $333.89 in checkbook expenses for the previous month, submitted prior to and at the meeting. Motion carried.

1. ADOPTION OF AGENDA.

2. ACCEPTANCE OF MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF JULY 31, 2013

3. EXPENSES FROM PREVIOUS MONTH.

III. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.

None present.

IV. REPORTS:

1. Policy Committee Report (Gary Berger) -

The policy committee did not meet.  They have been meeting only when everyone was available, they are going to change that to meet when at least three of them are available.

2.  PR/Marketing Committee Report (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

They have not met either, in this case it was because they were busy getting ready for the 70th anniversary party.  They do have a meeting scheduled for November.

3.  Director’s Report

Lynn does not have anything to add to her written report.

Valerie is happy that database usage is up.  Lynn explained that the state gets credit for the money that we spend on databases and that credit goes toward matching grants that pay for more statewide databases.

Lynn is still waiting for information from Cox.  She is hoping it will be a significant difference from what we currently pay.

Kerry asked about the public photocopy machine.  Sam is still looking into options.  There was discussion about printer/scanner/copier combination machines since the public copier is also older and needs to be replaced soon.

Amy asked about the Affordable Care Act sign ups in the meeting rooms.  They will be out here for the first time on Friday, until now they’ve just been doing prep work.

Gary asked how the board feels about Lynn’s reports.  He wanted to know if there is anything they would like to see more of, or less of.  The board feels the reports have a good balance.

V. REPORTS/DISCUSSION/ACTION POSSIBLE:

1. Discussion of Attendance Policy for Library Board.  Action Possible (Gary Berger)

Valerie presented a rough draft of her proposed bylaws change.  Combined with Kerry’s previous suggestion it reads:

Board attendance is important to productive meetings. If a Board member has been unable to attend 3 meetings within a 6 month period, the Board member will be contacted by the Chair or designee to reconsider their commitment to serving on the board. With prior approval from chair or designee, board members may officially participate/attend board meetings via conference call or virtually via simple video communications program. In-person board attendance is preferred but if not possible, board members can use the above stated alternative means with pre-approval on a limited basis, up to 3 times per fiscal year.

Gary and Lynn have both emailed our county commissioner for guidance on this.  Lynn has also asked, again, for a definition of unexcused absence.

Gary would like to have the Attendance Bylaw change done and ready to finalize next month.

2. Discussion of Library Director’s Evaluation.  Action Possible (Gary Berger)

The packet for this meeting included three drafts of the library director’s job description.  The DRAFT version is what she was hired under and has been working under for five years.  The longest version was written by Lynn and the other was written by Beth based on Lynn’s.  This evaluation will be based on the DRAFT version.

Amy gave some history on this process for Kerry, the forms the board has used and their interest in input from staff and the formats they have used to get that input.  Valerie and Gary both like the voluntary interviews with staff, it gives them insight into what the staff deals with and is a chance for the staff and board to get to know each other better.  Amy suggests that the interviews be moved to a different time of year, so that they are disassociated from the director’s evaluation process.  After some discussion, the board agreed to schedule these for January and February.

Gary suggests that the board use Amy scoring sheet again.  She will send everyone a copy of last year’s finalized evaluation that includes Lynn’s list of goals for this year.  The board members and Lynn will each fill the scoring sheet and have it ready to discuss next month.

Valerie said that she’d gone through the job descriptions and made notes.  Discussion of the job description will be at the January meeting, with the goal of finalizing it.

3. Discussion of Amphitheater.  Action Possible (Kerry Ahern)

After her first board meeting, Kerry did some checking with the city.  The city has always thought the amphitheater was ours, and we always thought it was theirs.  The city is now handing it over to us, the only stipulation is that they are allowed to use it free of charge.  This is fine with the board.

The policy committee will have to come up with policies quickly.   There was a little bit of discussion about some of the things they will need to cover.  All amphitheater bookings after January 1, 2014 will be going through us rather than the city.

Lynn has already called the insurance company to let them know that this will be our responsibility now.   The funds collected from the amphitheater will be helpful to offset the costs which we have already been covering.

VI. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.

None present.

VII. ANOUNCEMENTS:

1.  Policy Committee Meeting, Lynn will send out a list of three dates and will pick the first of them that three committee members, including Lynn, can attend.
2.  Amphitheatre Concert, Sat (Lynn)
3.  Board Meetings, Wed., November 20 and December 18, 7 pm

VIII. Trustee Training

Skipped per agenda change.

 

IX. ADJOURNMENT: Gary Berger adjourned the meeting at 8:41 pm.

Powered by WordPress | Designed by Elegant Themes