Boulder City, NV

Library Board Minutes for May 2013

BOULDER CITY LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

May 16, 2013

MEMBERS PRESENT: Amy Carvalho, Gary Berger, and Valerie McNay.

Beth Molburg and Kerry Ahearn were both absent.  Also present:  Kathy Ong & Jim Chachas of Hobbs, Ong & Associates,  Library Director Lynn Schofield-Dahl, and Stanna Musick.  Later Deanna Duffy joined the gallery.

The regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:04 p.m. by Chairman Amy Carvalho.

I. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

II. CONSENT AGENDA: Matters considered routine by the Board of Trustees and which may be enacted in one motion. Any item, however, may be discussed separately per Board member request. Any exceptions to the Consent Agenda must be stated prior to approval.

Lynn distributed updated financial information.

Valerie McNay moved to accept, and Gary Berger seconded approval of the Consent Agenda, the minutes of the regular meeting on April 10th, $42,513.28, in vouchers for the previous month, submitted prior to and at the meeting, $1,847.57 in checkbook expenses for the previous month, submitted prior to and at the meeting. Motion carried.

1. ADOPTION OF AGENDA.

2. ACCEPTANCE OF MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF APRIL 10, 2013

3. EXPENSES FROM PREVIOUS MONTH.

III. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.

None present.

IV. REPORTS:

1. Policy Committee Report (Gary Berger)

Gary reported that the committee had a very short meeting due to several absences.  He and Lynn discussed the need to update our Patron Behavior Policy.  Gary also explained that it is a fine line when dealing with policies because there are some people (Staff and patrons alike) who would like to see every detail spelled out.  However, it is not always easy to anticipate every possible contingency, so a policy that is less restrictive is sometimes easier to enforce.   Lynn will have a copy of the policy she and Gary came up with available at the next board meeting.  It is unlikely, due to staff vacations, that a Policy Committee Meeting will be set for June.

The discussion turned to security measures for the building.  Gary has purchased several security cameras which are being installed through the building.  Valerie made mention of a series of posts on a Library List-Serve regarding security in Libraries across the country, and noted that size of community or library seems to not make a difference.  Everyone seems to deal with the same issues.

Gary asked for clarification of how people are appointed to the committee.  Amy suggested that we might want to invite Kerry to join the Policy Committee to help her learn about the library.  Valerie pointed out that participation on the committee was very helpful to her in learning about how the library works.

2.  PR/Marketing Committee Report (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

May Meeting cancelled.  Will Schedule a meeting for July.

3.  Director’s Report (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

Lynn had nothing to add to her report and invited questions.  Valerie commented on Staff Development Day and asked how it went.  Lynn remarked favorably about the Staff’s response to the PR is for Everyone program.  Lynn suggested the Board turn their questions to a member of the staff who was present at staff day, Stanna Musick.  Stanna was positive about the PR program and mentioned that, especially for younger staff, it is difficult for them to respond to rude and short tempered patrons.  Stanna gave credit to Lynn for the way Lynn handles situations, particularly those which seem to be more emotional rather than factual.  Valerie asked about the next Staff Development Day which is set for October.

Amy commented that she was grateful to Gary & Lyn for their dealing with the AARP requests this year.  Lynn reported that AARP has already scheduled the use of the room on Mondays next year so as to not conflict with library programming on Wednesdays.

Valerie is looking forward to hearing from Kim and her staff about the Summer Reading Program next month.

Valerie asked about the Print Management Software.  Lynn was happy to report the software is up and running and saving us from printing so many pages.  A few patrons are disgruntled about another “change” but Lynn is confident that they will learn the new system and come to like it as much as the staff does.

V. REPORTS/DISCUSSION/ACTION POSSIBLE:

1. FY 13/14 Budget Proposal – Discussion – Action Required (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

Lynn presented the final draft of the 13/14 Budget Documents as well as updates for the Boar Copies including the Management Letter (page 3) and the Proof of Publication which only just arrived.

Lynn turned the floor over to Jim Chachas from Hobbs, Ong & Associates, a local firm of financial advisors for state & local governments.  Jim was very complimentary of the staff he has encountered by telephone, telling the Board we have a home-town feeling.

Jim began his presentation by explaining how he works with Lynn to help her prepare the budget for the next fiscal year.  They begin by looking at how the end of the current fiscal year will end so that we know what we will have to begin with.  When looking at the numbers for the end of FY1213, he was concerned at the way the numbers were playing out.  His concern is that our income from Ad Valorem Property Taxes and Consolidated Taxes (C-Tax) are not producing as anticipated.  He is concerned that if this trend continues, we will be faced with a deficit in creating the budget down the road and that now is the time to start planning for those issues.  Jim hopes that the low performing numbers are at least in part due to a change in how the Assessors’ Office & the Treasurers’ Office are handling funds which are now due in May rather than in April, and that we will see continued income later than normal. If that is the case, a lot of this problem will be addressed However, that is only part of the picture. Jim listed 4 reasons that, in spite of a reported upswing in the economy, our income continues to drop:

  1. Boulder City is a No-Growth City
  2. Improvements downtown do not impact us because they are part of the Redevelopment District.
  3. Renewable Energy Abatements given to area businesses mean less money for us for at least 10 years.
  4. The Tax Relief legislation of ’05 capped growth at 3% and the most we can ever expect to get from our tax-payers is only 3% more from the previous year, up to our allowable Tax Rate of 0.139

 

Jim also pointed to the SCCRT tax of .0069 that we are allowed above our rate

which would mean an additional $34k to the budget each year.  Jim mentioned that we don’t have to worry about the Operating Funds for this year or even next year, but now is the time to start making plans for addressing the issues so we don’t end up in a situation as LVCCLD and Henderson Public Library District in needing to go to our voters to ask for permission to do an increase in the levy for our Operating Budget.  (A copy of Jim’s notes and numbers are included in this Board Packet)

 

Lynn pointed out that in her final budget, she changed 2 points:

1:  Lower the rate of how much money we move from our Operating Budget into the Capital Improvement Fund for this Fiscal Year and FY 1314 in order to more positively impact our Fund Balance for the end of each of those Fiscal Years and start with a greater beginning Balance for the following FYs.

2:  She suggests the following Tax Levies, which would hold our combined levy to the current rate of .2030 per $100 of Assessed value:

Operating Rate Levy:  0.1130
Debt Service Rate Levy:  0.0900
                                                Combined Levy:  0.2030

Lynn noted that she had made cuts to the budget including a cut to earlier recommended upgrades in the staff budget as well as other operational and materials cuts.

Valerie McNay moved to approve the budget as presented. Gary Berger seconded.  Motion carried.

2. Refinancing Debt Service Bond – Discussion – Action Possible (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

Kathy Ong was given the floor to discuss the feasibility of the Board pursuing a

Refinancing of our Debt Service Bond, which could save us a total of $109,000.00 on the Interest of our current bond.  The costs involved in the refinancing would be about $50k, which would leave us with a savings of only $59k.  Kathy explained that in order to take advantage of this possibility, we have steps to take before they could act on the move, including receiving approval from Clark County Commissioners.  As soon as the steps were completed, the refinance could be “triggered” when the market rate reaches 3%.  Kathy also explained getting a higher percentage was unlikely.   After lengthy discussion, the board chose to table this discussion until next month when, hopefully, more board members would be present.   (A copy of Kathy Ong’s presentation is included in this Board Packet)

At this point, Kathy Ong and Jim Chachas took their leave of the meeting.

3.  Automation Agreement with LVCCLD – Action Required – (Lynn Schofield-
Dahl)  
Lynn presented the Board with the newest Agreement between BCL and LCCCLD for the provision of automated circulation services, courier delivery, Overdrive access, and more.  Charges for FY1314 are going down $14.00 to a total of $23,417.00.  After a short discussion, the board agreed with Lynn that we could not offer the services that we currently offer without this agreement.

Gary Berger moved to approve the Automation Agreement with LVCCLD.  Valerie McNay seconded.   The motion passed.

4.  Nominations for the Board of Trustee Officers for FY1314 – Action Required – (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

Amy proposed to table the nominations until the June meeting because Gary needs to be reappointed by the Commissioners, and the assumption is that he will be nominated for an Office.  Amy would also like to have more members of the Board Present for the vote.  The Board agreed to Table the nominations until June, and hold the election at the same time.

5.   Reschedule the July Meeting to Wednesday July 24th  – Action Required – (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

Lynn requested that the July meeting be moved 1 week later to the 24th to allow her adequate time to prepare for the meeting following a trip to the American Library Association earlier that month.

Gary Berger moved to hold the meeting on July 24th, 2013.  Valerie McNay Seconded.  The Motion passed.

Amy asked if Lynn could have the Indebtedness Report, due to the Nevada State Department of Taxation in July, prepared for the June Meeting.

VI. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.

None present.

VII. ANOUNCEMENTS:

The next meeting with be held Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 7 pm

 

VIII. ADJOURNMENT: Amy Carvalho adjourned the meeting at 8:56 pm.

 

Respectfully submitted:  Lynn Schofield-Dahl

Powered by WordPress | Designed by Elegant Themes