Boulder City, NV

April Board of Trustees Meeting

BOULDER CITY LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

April 10, 2013

 MEMBERS PRESENT: Amy Carvalho, Gary Berger, Valerie McNay and Beth Molburg.  Also present Library Director Lynn Schofield-Dahl, and Adult Services Librarian Deanna Duffy.

The regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chairman Amy Carvalho.

I. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

II. CONSENT AGENDA: Matters considered routine by the Board of Trustees and which may be enacted in one motion. Any item, however, may be discussed separately per Board member request. Any exceptions to the Consent Agenda must be stated prior to approval.

Lynn distributed updated financial information.

Amy corrected a typo on the minutes, they should be dated March instead of February.  Valerie also corrected an attribution on page 3 of the minutes, Gary is the one who said the library is not a democracy and the staff does not get to vote on the personnel policies.

Gary Berger moved to accept, with those changes, and Beth Molberg seconded approval of the Consent Agenda, the minutes of the regular meeting on March 20th, $25,253.43, in vouchers for the previous month, submitted prior to and at the meeting, $142.00 in checkbook expenses for the previous month, submitted prior to and at the meeting. Motion carried.

1. ADOPTION OF AGENDA.

2. ACCEPTANCE OF MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF MARCH 20, 2013

3. EXPENSES FROM PREVIOUS MONTH.

III. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.

None present.

IV. REPORTS:

1. Policy Committee Report (Gary Berger)

Gary said that they missed Valerie at the last meeting.  She has resigned from the policy committee.  He also said they took a break from personnel policies to talk about problems with patrons and employees.  There is currently one page in the policies that was the basis of their discussion.  They have not come to any agreements, but they talked about whether it is better for these policies to be more general or more specific.

There was also discussion during both the committee meeting and board meeting about building security and shifting handicap parking from the left of the walkway to the right of the walkway.  There was also discussion of possible security measures for the restrooms.

There was support for several proposed security improvements and Lynn will check into the cost and effect of moving the handicap parking.

2.  PR/Marketing Committee Report (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

Lynn reported that there were no poster submissions.  They will try again during the summer reading program and see if there is more response then.

Beth said that she is a fan of Lynn’s outreach efforts, but that sometimes you try something tweak it, and try again, but at some point you have to move on because it is not working.

Lynn will be doing a presentation at Staff Development Day about how PR is everyone’s responsibility.  There was also more discussion about the importance of PR in general.

This shifted into discussion about marketing the upcoming book sale and the book sale itself.

The PR/marketing committee’s next meeting will be Friday, April 12th at 10am.

3.  Director’s Report (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

Lynn had updates for a couple of items in her report.

Signs on the doors and Staff Offices will cost about $250.  The Nevada room repairs are done, but it does still smell like paint in there.  The hiring committee has two more people to interview for the circulation position.

Sam and Jesse have just completed a grant asking for a mobile computer lab for classes and potentially a teen library newsletter.  They are asking for about $8000.  If they do not get this grant, Lynn has further options to pursue.

Demolition on the cottage behind the library is going slowly.  The company had to wait for the results of asbestos testing.  As expected, there is some, but it is less than they expected.

V. REPORTS/DISCUSSION/ACTION POSSIBLE:

1. FY 13/14 Tentative Budget Proposal – Discussion – Action Possible (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)

There are three sets of pages in the board packet regarding this.  A copy of the official version of the budget that must be sent to the state.  A narrative version that explains what things are, and small set with information showing results of different tax levy changes.

Beth asked about the potential refinance of the debt service levy.  Lynn has not looked into the specifics of this yet, she wants to finish the budget first.

Lynn would like to lower the debt service levy and raise the general fund levy by the same amount.  This would add nearly $76,000 of additional revenue to the general fund without changing the overall levy amount.  The board generally agree that this would be within their intent when they asked Lynn to not increase the levy.

Amy asked about discrepancies between totals in categories between the official budget pages and the narrative version.  Those are due to differences in the county’s line items versus the state’s.  The overall totals match.

Gary Berger moved to lower the debt service levy, but increase the general fund levy by the same amount, in accordance with Lynn’s suggestion.  Valerie McNay seconded.  Motion carried.

2. Library Director Job Description – Discussion – Action Possible (Amy Carvalho)

Beth looked at previously distributed information, and began to construct a new document that trimmed some repetitiveness and condensed other parts.  Her goal was to start a document that conveyed intent without being specific.  She was also looking at it with an eye toward tailoring it and the evaluation process to more closely match.

Beth asked about the board’s responsibility to Lynn and how that fits in with her job description.   There was agreement that the board’s job description should be better defined, but that that should happen in the trustee materials, rather than in the director’s job description.

One addition everyone agreed with was under Staff/Personnel Performance, the word “evaluating” needs to be inserted.  The intent was clearly there, but the word was left out.

Beth suggested that Lynn try to blend her draft of the director’s job description into the draft Beth created.  Lynn will do this and email the new document to everyone.

Gary commented that he would like to see “with board approval” added to the section about contracts.

VI. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.

None present.

VII. ANOUNCEMENTS:

The next meeting with be Thursday, May 16th.  Beth will not be there, but the other three will.  It is also possible that the new board member will be appointed by then.  Regardless of effective date, Lynn will add the new board member to her contact list as soon as the appointment is made.

Reminder – The 3rd annual Burgers with the Bergers will be Saturday, May 11th.

Lynn will soon distribute the agenda for Staff Development Day.  Board members are welcome to attend.

VIII. ADJOURNMENT: Amy Carvalho adjourned the meeting at 8:29 pm.

Powered by WordPress | Designed by Elegant Themes