LIBRARY BOARD MINUTES
Boulder City Library Board of Trustees Meeting
Wednesday, July 30 2014
Members Present: Gary Berger, Kerry Ahearn, Jeff Breeden. Also Present was Library Director Lynn Schofield-Dahl and members of the public, Dave Martin and Laura Palumbo.
The regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:04 p.m. by Chairman Gary Berger.
I. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
II. CONSENT AGENDA: Matters considered routine by the Board of Trustees and which may be enacted in one motion. Any item, however, may be discussed separately per Board member request. Any exceptions to the Consent Agenda must be stated prior to approval.
Lynn distributed change pages for the bills and financial Information.
Jeff Breeden moved and Kerry Ahearn seconded approval of the Consent Agenda, the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of July 30, 2014, $50,891.70 in vouchers for the previous month, submitted prior to and the meeting, $1,231.28 in Check Book Expenses for the previous month submitted prior to and at the meeting, for total expenses of $52,122.98 . Motion Carried.
- ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA.
- ACCEPTANCE OF THE MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF July 30, 2014.
- EXPENSES OF THE PREVIOUS MONTH.
III. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION : Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.
Members of the public were asked to introduce themselves. Each also explained why they were interested in serving on the Board of Trustees of the Library. Gary offered a list of questions to the candidates, and asked each to choose a question and then answer it. The candidates were also asked to offer their opinions as to how to deal with a continuing problem patron. The situation was discussed at length. Following that discussion, Dave excused himself from the meeting.
- Policy Committee Report (Gary Berger) Gary passed on the opportunity to give a report because the Policy Committee was scheduled as a topic of discussion later in the agenda.
- Director’s monthly Library status report and Department Head Reports (Lynn Schofield-Dahl) As an addition to her report that was distributed with the board packets, Lynn announced that both circulation positions had been filled. Katie McWilliam and Maureen Wheeler have started their training.
- Reports about the American Library Association Conference (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)
Lynn had nothing to add to her report, but discussed some of the highlights of the conference and thanked the Board for the opportunity to take the staff to the event.
V. REPORT/DISCUSSION/ACTION POSSIBLE:
- Trustee Recruitment – Action Required – (Gary Berger)
Including Introduction of Candidates for Open Board of Trustee Position
- Susan Reams
- Lar Nelson
- Dave Martin
- Judith Hoskins
- Laura Palumbo
Gary asked Ms. Palumbo to leave so the Board could discuss and choose a candidate to recommend for the position of Library Trustee. Much discussion followed. Jeff Breeden pointed out that, because a candidate was asked to leave, that we were in violation of the Open Meeting Law, and could not take a vote on this topic. In a general consensus, it was decided that the Board had no choice but to table this discussion yet again.
- Election of Board of Trustee Chairman & Vice-Chairman – Action Required – (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)
After discussion, a Slate of Officers: Chairman-Gary Berger and Vice Chairman Kerry Ahearn was presented for consideration. Jeff Breeden moved that the slate be accepted and nominations close. Gary Berger seconded. Motion carried.
- Review of Capital Improvement Plan – Review Only – (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)
No questions were asked about the CIP.
- Review of Indebtedness Report – Review Only – (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)
No questions were raised concerning the Indebtedness Report.
- Discussion and possible dissolution of the Policy Committee – Action Required – (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)
Lynn discussed with the group the dissolution of the Policy Committee as a Board Appointed Committee. Posting and Reporting requirements concerning a Board Appointed Committee have become more stringent, and often it is difficult to gather a quorum of the committee in order to complete any work. She suggested that it would be more expedient to have a group formed of staff members propose potential Policies for Board Review and Approval.
Jeff Breeden moved that the Board’s Policy Committee be discontinued and that Lynn be instructed to develop policies for Board Review and Approval. Kerry Ahearn seconded. Motion carried.
- Discussion of Ethics – Discussion Only (Gary Berger)
Gary reminded the group of the need of the Board to speak with one voice when offering instructions to the Director rather than to offer individual instruction to the Director and the staff.
- Discussion of Vacating the August Board Meeting – Action Possible – (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)
After Discussion, Kerry Ahearn moved and Jeff Breeden seconded that we hold the August Meeting as usual. Motion carried.
VII. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION : Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.
No public was present at this time.
- Board Meeting – Wed, August 20, 7 p.m.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:20 p.m.
Prepared by Lynn Schofield-Dahl, Director, Boulder City Library.