Library Board Minutes for April 2014

April 23, 2014

MEMBERS PRESENT: Gary Berger, Amy Carvalho, Valerie McNay, Kerry Ahearn, and Jeff Breeden. Also present Library Director Lynn Schofield-Dahl, and Adult Services Librarian Deanna Duffy.

The regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:07 p.m. by Chairman Gary Berger.


II. CONSENT AGENDA: Matters considered routine by the Board of Trustees and which may be enacted in one motion. Any item, however, may be discussed separately per Board member request. Any exceptions to the Consent Agenda must be stated prior to approval.

There were two changes to the Agenda. In Section IV, Item 4 should be “Discussion of Trustee Staff Meet and Greet” instead of “Sign up for Trustee Staff Meet and Greet.” In Section V, Item 4 should be Discussion instead of Action Possible.

Lynn distributed change pages for the bills and financial information.

Amy Carvalho moved to approve, and Valerie McNay seconded approval of the Consent Agenda, the minutes of the regular meeting on March 19, $46,093.11, in vouchers for the previous month, submitted prior to and at the meeting, $4,101.40 in checkbook expenses for the previous month, submitted prior to and at the meeting.

Gary asked about a couple of items in the expenses. He asked if we still need to get paper test books rather than digital. The paper copies are VERY popular. He also asked about several children’s titles. These are replacement copies of popular titles that have been damaged or lost.

Valerie asked about the McNaughtons. Those are the rental books that allow us to get multiple copies of new popular titles that we can then send back for other titles once the initial rush is over.

Gary called the vote. Motion carried.


III. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.

None present. There was discussion about whether or not the board should be encouraging the public to attend. Lynn will send notice of the May budget hearing/board meeting to the Boulder City Review newspaper for inclusion in their local events section.
1. Policy Committee Report (Gary Berger) –
Lynn did the report for Gary. They are still making slow progress on personnel policies. They worked on a programming policy, and made the requested changes to the amphitheater policies.

Gary would like to add another staff member to the committee. Lynn, Kim and Sam are all salaried, exempt employees and changes made to personnel policies effect hourly employees differently.

2. PR/Marketing Committee Report (Lynn Schofield-Dahl) –
There was light discussion about the Winter Reading Program and the surveys from the finale party. Also, Lynn made a quick mention of the upcoming Mystery Pot Luck Club and Summer Reading Programs.

Lynn mentioned again, the Community Connect software that she and Samantha just learned. She is looking forward to sharing that with the board.

There was also discussion about the possibility of using the amphitheater for Chautauqua, and bringing that back to town.

3. Director’s Report (Lynn Schofield-Dahl) –
The board likes the new department head reports. Lynn will consider bringing in the department heads months when the agenda is lighter.

Jeff commented on Samantha’s report that she’s building computers. It is cheaper to build than buy, and Samantha is trained for that.

Kerry has talked to Lynn about getting several older computers from the city. The city is on a 5 year replacement cycle. Lynn is excited to look into it, and has some ideas on where they could be used.

There was discussion about the upcoming ALA conference in Las Vegas in June. Lynn will send out the information to the board members. They can attend if they want.

4. Discussion of Staff Meet and Greet (Lynn Schofield-Dahl) –
The board agreed that they liked doing this and later they talked about the possibility of doing it more often than once a year.

Board members mentioned overall themes that came out of the conversations. Valerie mentioned multiple staff members saying things that were very patron oriented. Amy talked about the positive feedback they got about the opportunity for the staff to talk to the board. Amy also talked about the staff wanting more cross training and less department separation, but that overall everyone was positive and appreciative. Jeff also talked about cross training for the desk.

Amy mentioned that one of her meetings ended up having a long discussion about typewriters in the library. This lead to a board discussion about typewriters and how we use them.

Gary mentioned that there were discussions about “what if we have a problem?” Meaning, primarily “What if we have a problem with Lynn?” In that case, Gary’s response was that if any staff member approaches a board member one on one, the board member can respond, but that is not the board’s response. To get the board as a whole to respond, the staff member must bring the issue to the board as a whole. Lynn would also like to request that if there is a one on one discussion between a staff member and a board member, that the board member ask if the staff member has talked to their supervisor or to Lynn. Gary also reminded everyone that Lynn answers to the board as a whole, not to individual board members.


1. Director Job Description – Action Possible
This was pushed back in priority over the month, and no board members contacted Lynn with thoughts on the documents. Lynn could go through her version and add the 8 items she feels are missing to Valerie’s version. This could be done for the next meeting, but since that is the budget hearing she thinks June would be a better discussion time. She can have it ready to distribute at the May meeting, for discussion and hopefully adoption at the June meeting.

Lynn and Amy will meet and work out a final draft so that there will be something ready to the next time it is on the agenda.

2. Personnel Policies – Report (Gary Berger)
Primarily this was a discussion of Open Meeting Law and if it applies to committees appointed by the board in addition to applying to the board. There are differing interpretations.

In the past, the understanding was that as long as there was not a quorum of board members, and then committee meetings were ok to meet without being posted and minutes taken.

Amy’s new understanding of the revisions to Open Meeting Law is that all committees formed by the board must also follow open meeting law. The meetings must be posted, must have an agenda, and minutes, etc.
Amy is contacting the Attorney General’s office for clarification. Until they get an answer, the Policy committee will continue to meet as usual, but will post their meetings and take minutes.
The committee will still be able to meet and work, however they will be less able to adjust to last minute schedule shifts because meetings will have to be posted at least 3 business days in advance.

3. Program Policy – (Kerry Ahearn and Gary Berger)
Kerry presented the policy as it was written in the board meeting packet.

Amy suggested a change in the wording of the section “These programs may require a Registration Fee which will be refunded to those who attend the program. The Registration Fee may also be refunded to registrants who cancel at least 48 hours prior to the event,” to allow a non-refundable materials fee. The section would then read, “These programs may require a Registration Fee or non-refundable materials fee. The Registration Fee may be refunded to registrants who attend the program or cancel at least 48 hours prior to the event.”

Jeff Breeden moved to approve with the edit.

Amy asked where this policy will fit in the policy manual. Lynn said that it will be in with patron policies.

Amy Carvalho seconded. Motion carried.

4. Request to be made of the Board – Discussion – (Gary Berger)
Gary commented that when he attends library programs or events in the amphitheater he is almost always the only board member there. He requests that other board members try to attend library events.

Valerie feels that being a board member and doing her duties at the meetings is fulfilling her responsibilities.

Lynn commented that attending programs is part of library advocacy.

5. Tentative Budget FY14-15 – Action required (Lynn Schofield-Dahl)
Lynn has prepared a tentative budget that is more conservative than what the state’s early estimates suggest will be available. This year she and several other administrators are questioning the state’s numbers. They think the state is overly optimistic.

Lynn does think that the tax levies can be lowered just a little and leave the library in good shape to run, pay off the building debt, and leave a little for the Capital Improvement fund. She is hesitant to lower them very much since there is an overall limit on how much taxes can go up overall. If there is a need to raise levies later, it might not be possible.

There was a little, very short, side discussion about staff topping out in the step system, which is set by the county. Lynn said that the board can decide to ignore the county’s rules and that is a discussion the board would need to have at another time.

Amy asked about the FTE number on the state’s forms. The number went down from 16.60 last year to 15.88 on this year’s tentative budget form. However, there has been a change since that form was created. The FTE number on the final budget will be just a little lower instead of nearly one full person lower. This is mainly because of retirements.

Jeff Breeden moved to approve the tentative budget for FY14-15. Amy Carvalho seconded. Motion carried.

Jeff also mentioned that he can not attend the budget hearing in May. He was not aware of the Thursday meeting in May. Kerry will not be able to attend as well.

VII. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION: Items raised under this portion of the Agenda cannot be acted upon until notice provisions of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law have been completed. Therefore, any action on such items must be considered at a later meeting.

None present.


1. Budget hearing: Thursday, May 15 at 7pm
2. Board meeting, Thursday, May 15, 2014 Immediately following the Budget hearing.
3. Burgers with the Bergers will be on the third Sunday in May. RSVP to Lynn by email.
4. Tile craft day is the first Saturday in May.

IX. ADJOURNMENT: Gary Berger adjourned the meeting at 8:59 pm.


Mon-Thurs: 9 AM-8:30 PM
Fri: 9 AM-5 PM
Sat: 11 AM-4 PM
Sun: 1 PM-4 PM (Closed Memorial Day Weekend-Labor Day Weekend)

Computer Lab

The Computer Lab shuts down 15 minutes before the library closes.

Wireless Internet

We have wireless internet and wireless printing. Please stop at the Reference Desk for more information. Wireless internet shuts down 10 minutes before closing.

Boulder City Library

701 Adams Blvd.
Boulder City, NV 89005