Posted by bclibbooks
on Aug 28th, 2013
The library will be closed Monday, September 2nd for Labor Day. We will reopen on Tuesday, September 3rd at 9 am.
Labor Day weekend also marks the last weekend of our summer hours. Starting September 8th, the library will be open Sundays from 1-4 pm.
Facts about Labor Day
- Labor Day celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers.
- The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City, in accordance with the plans of the Central Labor Union.
- On on June 28th, 1894, Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories.
- Labor Day has come to be celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer.
- In high society, Labor Day is (or was) considered the last day of the year when it is fashionable to wear white or seersucker.
- In U.S. sports, Labor Day marks the beginning of the NFL and college football seasons.